Saturday, September 4, 2010

RIMM - Covered call


Background

I initiated a collar trade on RIMM on middle of September 2009 at $76.9. I caught the stock almost at the peak. It has been on a downtrend since.

I continued to trade for almost 10 months with many adjustments. Finally, I gave up and close the trade on August 26th selling it at 48.23 and closed all my options positions. It was a disappointment for me. I put in a lot of effort and yet could not realize its potentials.

Although the stock has fallen from $76.9 to $48.3, I still manage to make a small profit $600 for a position with 500 shares. This is a testimony of the power of options if used properly. I decided to cut as I was disappointed and believe a downtrend was imminent for the stock. My patience had run out. I also made a decision I will buy back when there are signs of bottoming trend.

Now the stock has hit a low of $42.53 and bounce back together with the market, I decided to re-enter the trade.

Fundamentals.

Fundamentally, I still like the stock.

o They are still the market leader with decent margins and growth although shares are slightly eroded by Apple iPhone and Android.

o RIMM is still strongly entrenched in the corporate market

o Recent problems of security in India and UAE are almost resolved. These account for 2% of their earnings

o RIMM is expected to trade under 10 times earnings and earnings to grown > 25% over the next 12 months.

o In April, the company said it will buy back 2 million shares

o It has a strong balance sheet with almost $3 billion in cash and no debt.

o Although the Torch has received lackluster reviews but it will still increase the sales RIMM with ATT $100m promotional campaign on national TV, print and online.

o The stock is clearly oversold. Also, its volatility is almost doubled what was earlier this year. Thus a good time for covered call

o With the current pricing and the cash rich environment of corporations now, I will not be surprised there could be a bid for the company. I rate the probability at around 15%.

Technical

It has shown some signs of short term bottom. The stock has hit support 3 times in the past and bounce up.

However, longer term trend is still bearish. It could still be dragged down to 2008 low and support of around $40-$41

With the rebound of the market, the probability of the stock going down <$41 is reduced. Actually, it should just bounce off from the support line. ( see figure )

Trade:

Covered call:

BTO 500 shares for 44.78
STO Oct 45 SC for 3


Cost : 41.78

PE: Let the short call goes ITM and call out by Oct and make 7.4 percent in about 7 weeks.

SE: As you can see, I am not very bullish on the stock. I believe any bounce will be short term but the support at 42 should hold.

I am not easy about September and Oct for the overall stock market. Thus, I am using a 2 months SC instead of 1 month. A 1 month SC should actually do fine too.

If stock goes below $42, I will roll the SC down to ITM to reduce my cost to around 38.

If the stock cannot maintain support at around $38, I will close the trade at a slight loss, or double up the shares or add a put. It will depend on the market situation at that time. If the environment is bullish and RIMM shows no signs of fundamental breakdowns, I will add to the shares. If not sure, I will add a put to make it a collar and continue to trade until I make money.

If the stock shows fundamental flaws, I will exit the trade with a small loss.

1 comment:

  1. I made an adjustment to RIMM today.

    When I first bought RIMM, I expected it to go up pretty quick.

    But the price action was not to my expectations. The stock market has gone up but the stock barely held its position.

    In trading, it is always important to take care of any potential risks.

    With earnings on Friday, risk is very high especially for RIMM. If it gaps down on Friday, I will never recover and will have to close the trade for a loss. If it gaps up, I will make money limited by my SC.

    So I decide to make the following adjustments:

    I bought the Oct 45 SC back at 2.65 thus reducing my cost basis by 0.35 ( 3-2.65)

    I bought also a Dec 42.5 P at 3.6.

    New Cost: 45.03

    Lets examine a few scenario after the earnings announcement:


    1.If it gaps up above 45.03, I will make good money. If the strength of the market is weak and stock shows some resistance, I will add a SC. I may also add a SP.

    2. If it gaps down, I will definitely add a SC and collar the stock. Because of the action of adding a put, I believe I will still be able to manage this trade to profitability even I made a wrong directional call when I entered the trade because I am controlling the risks.

    ReplyDelete

Visitors to this blog

About Me

An engineer by training graduated with B.Sc (hons) and MBA from Strathclyde university in Glasgow, Scotland. Started as an engineer in R&D for 3 years with Philips. Then, worked with DuPont for 13 years. Last job was VP, Marketing for Asia Pacific. Left to start a number of companies in various segments which include a large electronic distribution, a VoIP provider, an internet trading portal in Australia,and an executive training consultancy firm. Have listed companies in NYSE, Australia Stock Exchange, Singapore Stock Exchange Main Board. I was on the Board of Directors for 1 company listed in Thailand, 1 in Singapore and 1 in Australia. Was in the senior management of a company listed in NYSE. Still holding major share positions in the VoIP and Executive training companies. Both are private companies.

Disclaimer

These articles merely reflect the opinions of this author and are by no means a guarantee of future economic conditions, market or stock performance. Though the author strives to provide accurate and relevant data, he sometimes relies on external sources and cannot assure the reader of the accuracy of these external sources. Additionally, these articles are provided for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and are NOT MEANT to provide investment advice to anyone. For investment advice, please consult your professional adviser.