Saturday, October 3, 2009

AIG "reversed" collar

This is an out of the box trade. It is not the standard application of a collar. There are additional risks to this trade. You can lose a lot of money if you fail to apply the protective discipline promptly. Also, the trade is very volatile and it whipsaw on your trade and wipe out any profits.

Fundamentals:

It is lousy stock! Without the government support, it should have gone bankrupt. People are buying it because they believe that it cannot fail because they believe the government behind it. They are too big to fail. Also, another irrational argument is that the stock was $1400 two years ago. I have not seen any improvements in the company to justify that it will resume its former glory. On the reverse, I do not respect the management and I think the insurance industry and financial industry are still very vulnerable.

There was a stunning omission from the government's latest list of "problem" banks, which ran to 416 lenders, a 15-year high, as of June 30. One outfit not on the list was Georgian Bank, the second-largest Atlanta-based bank, which supposedly had plenty of capital.

Georgian's clean-up will be unusually costly. The book value of Georgian's assets was $2 billion as of July 24, about the same as the bank's deposit liabilities, according to a Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. press release. The FDIC estimates the collapse will cost its insurance fund $892 million, or 45 percent of the bank's assets. That percentage was almost double the average for this year's 95 U.S. bank failures, and it was the highest among the 10 largest ones.

It failed last week.

What this latest failure reveals is that (a) whatever methodology the regulators are using in their bank reviews, it is disastrously flawed; (b) without mark-to-market accounting, the nature and scale of what actually lurks in the loan portfolios of banks is unknown and unknowable.

The FDIC is now bankrupt, and the $46 billion it hopes to raise by having its member banks pony up their dues for three years in advance is not likely to last out 2010

I think very soon Obama will run out of ammunition and AIG will run out of excuses.

Technicals:

Please refer to the graph below ( Please click on image to enlarge )




o IV can be very high during certain days. Very good for creating credit trades
o Broke support today. Although it bounces back, but no bullish signal.
o MACD and Stoch are negative
o Exhaustion with 3 tops over the last 8 months

Strategies:

My strategies are:

Because this was an ongoing trade, I am not going to give you a detail plan but will articulate my strategies as the trade moves along with time. I will give a summary of the current status and will update as I put in my adjustment. This is an actively managed trade.

I open a synthetic put 2 weeks ago on 31st Aug 2009. ( 300 short stock at 46.82 and a 3 Nov Long call at 47. Since then, I had been able to take advantage of the volatility 3 times by selling a SP when the price dived below 38. I bought the SP thrice and sold it twice before it expired. Current holding an Oct 38 SP. I have captured about $900 in credit.

I am waiting for the stock to fall to <20 before I will close the whole trade.

If it is being called out by October at 38, I will make around $1000. But I may roll down the put to keep the Oct SP at 38 intact. If it is not assigned, I will continue to short put to reduce cost while holding the long call and short stock. Once the stock reaches below 20, I will close my trade if there is support.

IF the trade goes against me, I have my protective call. I can still close it at breakeven or a slight loss. My bet is the probability that it will collapse before end of November.

If the stock market pushes up another leg to November, I will roll my Nov Call to Feb or March. I may want to keep the synthetic put intact until I reach my target. Unless, the market show real signs of turning around by next year I will close my position. Currently, because of the SPs, I am almost risk free if I continue to manage the trade timely.

I think if the market goes through a correction, this stock can drop to <20 anytime.

Because it is so volatile, you have to very quick to capture credit when the stock is down by selling puts. I may be called out before I can close the trade but that is fine because I will make some money but not my maximum target.

9 comments:

  1. Comments on behalf of CH Wu

    Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It is very helpful. I would like to see more trading ideas within the group.

    On "reverse collar":

    One reason that OA does not teach reverse collar is that it is not "in-line" with their general philosophy.
    In the beginning of the course, we were asked to find "fundamentally sound" companies to put into a watch list. The strategy that is promoted is "collar trades" on the stocks with good fundamental. This strategy is a good one if the market is the uptrend or sideway. Since bearish market is usually shorter than bullish market, collar trades can be applied more times than reverse collar trades.

    On AIG ITM trade:

    I agree that AIG is not a company with good fundamental. It is a trading stock with high volatilities. It seems that there are many people like to buy this stock. Look at todays chart. The trading volume is 47 million shares today. It seems that many people find the price around $37 is a buy. Since the price is still above 50 ma and 200 ma, it can be considered as in "uptrend". Yes, this stock is very volatile. I need to watch it closely. Once is close below my cost basis, I'll buy put to protect the downside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments by Albert:

    Thanks for setting up this informal trading chat group...

    I apologise for not commenting earlier as I'm only just crossing over into lvl 6 class. And based on paper trades thus far, have had some mixed results - some successes but 2 trades in particular (POT and MOS bull calendars had the trend turn against me in past 2 weeks and dropped 50%, impacting my overall portfolio somewhat, albeit paper one :-) )

    For the AIG trade :
    . during a chat session with Jeff, I asked about holding AIG stock and his personal opinion was (for him) to stay clear from AIG because there was more 'behind the scenes' to that stock (referring I believe to government intervention issues & the like);
    . current fundamentals also seem an F and not sure how it'll perform for the future (with just 23.24% inst ownership) (in contrast, while FCX also ranks F- on TradeMonster, finviz shows 79% inst ownership)
    . since CovCall requires holding stock, I guess I don't fit the risk profile to hold AIG just in case...
    But Joseph, plse do share with us the results of the trade....I'm keen to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert,

    I think there may be reasons why the "reversed" collar are not taught.

    First shorting stocks is dangerous if you do not have the discipline to put in the necessary protection measures. It can incur unlimited loss. Just as they discourage bear calls and short call because it contains similar risks.

    Secondly, normally it takes a little experience to short stocks but it can be very profitable. When stock goes down, it can be very fast.

    Finally, while you are shorting stocks, you have to pay dividends while you hold the shorts.

    If you want to ride on the bullish trends, there are a couple of ways. One of my favorites to do it on market top is to do a bear call that is in the money and out in time. A standard bear call is slightly OTM and in the front month to get a credit. The ITM and out of time bear call gives you a very good credit. It takes longer to work. But when market turns down say in 1-3 months time, you are certain to hit your target because it goes down very fast and ramp through you SC making it OTM.

    I will illustrate an example some time next week on a trade which I made 2 weeks ago and is now making money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AIG is a very volatile stock, and its movements are driven by "news" a lot. If you want to trade AIG, need to watch closely on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph, post any news if you find that it will impact the stock.

    I agree that news will impact the stock. Actually, it moves the stocks violently in either directions. These are times where a short term trade can profit especially selling a short term option for a credit because the volatility is very high. One of the news last month was that the government may relax the bailout terms.

    In short, AIG needs to raise more money. This quarter result is going to be very critical. If it is good, they have a good chance to raise some capital at a high stock price. If bad, it is doomed. Maybe a strangle/straddle will be a good bet before earnings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have BTC my Oct 28 short put for 0.2 for a profit of $2032.

    I decided to close this position as it is closed to expiration.

    Any violent movement in the next few days will give me additional opportunities to short another put to reduce cost.

    I still have my protective call. I will need to roll it further out in time next week to continue giving protection to my short position.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On 10/02/2009, I entered the following trade:
    BTO AIG stock at 46.23
    STO AIG Nov 45 Call at 8.6
    cost basis is 37.63

    I closed it today (10/16) at 40.06. 6.5% gain. Though it does not meet my goal, but 6.5% for 2 weeks is still good. The reason I decide to close this trade is that BAC reported loss today. Since AIG will have earning in November, I do not want to take the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joseph, This is a very smart move.

    AIG is stagnant right now. So my straddle trade is not making money. But I expect volatility to pick up.

    I think the stock will break down lower. The coming earnings will give a good idea on the company's future. For the time being, it is still still waiting to break up or down.

    I will have my Oct 38 SP expired and keep a credit of $1032. I intend to add a SP when there is maximum fear. I am not bullish. I am adding a SP to reduce the cost of my synthetic put position on AIG. I may close the trade if AIG breaks up after earning and admit I had been wrong on the company. I should close making some money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally, this trade is closed after 3 months.

    I expected AIG to break down. It did but with much volatility. Thus, I did not maximize my profit as I keep my LC and SP for protection.

    I was assigned on my short put 32 on Friday.

    Summing up my profit and loss for the 3 months, I made over $2400 - a 17% profit.

    I could have made more as I was right on my direction. But with the extreme volatility and necessity for protection, I am happy with 17%.

    ReplyDelete

Visitors to this blog

About Me

An engineer by training graduated with B.Sc (hons) and MBA from Strathclyde university in Glasgow, Scotland. Started as an engineer in R&D for 3 years with Philips. Then, worked with DuPont for 13 years. Last job was VP, Marketing for Asia Pacific. Left to start a number of companies in various segments which include a large electronic distribution, a VoIP provider, an internet trading portal in Australia,and an executive training consultancy firm. Have listed companies in NYSE, Australia Stock Exchange, Singapore Stock Exchange Main Board. I was on the Board of Directors for 1 company listed in Thailand, 1 in Singapore and 1 in Australia. Was in the senior management of a company listed in NYSE. Still holding major share positions in the VoIP and Executive training companies. Both are private companies.

Disclaimer

These articles merely reflect the opinions of this author and are by no means a guarantee of future economic conditions, market or stock performance. Though the author strives to provide accurate and relevant data, he sometimes relies on external sources and cannot assure the reader of the accuracy of these external sources. Additionally, these articles are provided for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and are NOT MEANT to provide investment advice to anyone. For investment advice, please consult your professional adviser.