Sunday, November 28, 2010

Watch List

I have a watch list. The watch list is categorized into the following

1. Stocks for trading
2. Growth stocks
3. Precious metals stocks
4. Oil, gas and agriculture stocks
5. Candidates for short sells
6. Highly speculative stocks

My list is a little different from others. I love growth stocks. I indulge in speculative plays as in no.6. These can be juniors or under $10 stock which has illiquid or no options. Fundamentals are key to these counters. Keep an eye on when to cut loss. Also keep the position size small. Every year, I will have a few multi baggers from this list.

Also, I short stocks regularly. It is one of my key income. I do not share the list freely because there are lots of fundamentals and technical ideas behind each stock and it is not possible to trade just from the list. It is better that a trader develop his own favorite list.

I do not do scanning but rather read widely, do a lot of research by participating in discussions, chats, and interviews with people in the industry. I used to subscribe to StockFinder software and data stream. They are one of the best in breed for scanning. But I do not find it helpful for me. I prefer to dig deep into a company's fundamentals and understand a company well if I am trading it.

For example, this weekend I manage to meet up with a successful entrepreneur of a up and coming company in the internet segment. I got myself updated on the industry with developments at CSCO, SKYPE, IBM, JDSU, cloud computing and VOIP, AAPL  and MSFT. I asked questions like why CSCO is giving such a gloomy forecast and yet NFLX and CRM are performing like the dot.com bubble era. It was an interesting discussion but it is not my intention to discuss the details here.

But it was such discussion periodically that I update my watch list. It is done almost every week.

Also, I do a technical analysis evaluation every 1-2 days and change the list. It takes less than an hour for me to go to through the list and form a mental picture of the short term directions.

This list will form the basis of my investment priorities for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors to this blog

About Me

An engineer by training graduated with B.Sc (hons) and MBA from Strathclyde university in Glasgow, Scotland. Started as an engineer in R&D for 3 years with Philips. Then, worked with DuPont for 13 years. Last job was VP, Marketing for Asia Pacific. Left to start a number of companies in various segments which include a large electronic distribution, a VoIP provider, an internet trading portal in Australia,and an executive training consultancy firm. Have listed companies in NYSE, Australia Stock Exchange, Singapore Stock Exchange Main Board. I was on the Board of Directors for 1 company listed in Thailand, 1 in Singapore and 1 in Australia. Was in the senior management of a company listed in NYSE. Still holding major share positions in the VoIP and Executive training companies. Both are private companies.

Disclaimer

These articles merely reflect the opinions of this author and are by no means a guarantee of future economic conditions, market or stock performance. Though the author strives to provide accurate and relevant data, he sometimes relies on external sources and cannot assure the reader of the accuracy of these external sources. Additionally, these articles are provided for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and are NOT MEANT to provide investment advice to anyone. For investment advice, please consult your professional adviser.